Thursday, July 26, 2012

Vertical Pallet Garden

We have a very small backyard, but as a hobby gardener I want to make every square foot count. Hubby gets very snacky sometimes, so I figure, why not make our backyard a snack bar? I already have cherry tomatoes, a stevia plant, and herbs for him, why not add more? But alas, I have already filled all my flower beds this year.

Insert vertical garden! I obtained 2 pallets from the local Southern States for a whopping $2.00 each. Then I picked up some extra 1x2s and 1x4s from Lowes. We split the pallet in half, then closed out each of the 6 troughs. We arranged the garden towards the corner of our shed. It helps as a "room divider" in the yard and it hides the trashcans a bit. See photo!

(Please ignore terrible looking shed door. We had to install a new door due to massive wood rot and haven't yet painted it to make it pretty.)

I planted a strawberry plant in each trough. We have gotten a few strawberries already but we planted very late so we probably wont get many more. I just wanted to see how it would work out. Next year I am thinking of putting a squash along the bottom to trail along the edge.

As a SUPER bonus, this vertical garden hides a very small trash can behind it and our pooper scooper. This helps keeps the dog's messes tidy and keeps the flies away. And you can't even see it! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment